Tuesday 15 May 2007

Oh dear...

Well, I think I have just endured the worst day since my treatment began! I think a mix of chemo 6 side effects, tiredness, anxiety and stress resulted in a very poor reaction following my PET scan.
The actual scan was OK, a quick injection of a drinking water from Seffafield then a small sleep followed by the chance to lie in a huge polo (scanner) for 30 minutes, with your arms tied over your head! No results available immediately so its the CT scan on Wednesday and then the wait. Advised that as I was Radioactive I could not contact small children or pregnant women and to minimise contact with adults for the next eight hours. I was given a cup of tea as I had had no food or drink other than water since midnight.
After being given the all clear to leave the hospital I walked outside and immediately felt nauseous, and within a minute I was engaged in a long conversation with Hughie and Ralph down the great white porcelain telephone (flower bed actually). The nursing staff came to see if I was OK and advised that it could not be a side effect of the injection and I was given the all clear to go home with a paper bowl and window open!
Went straight to bed and felt 99% cr4p! My body felt totally battered with fuel tanks empty. Every joint ached and my head was banging. I sipped on water to keep fluid levels up but could not take food, it was absolutely horrible and I thought that I could never recover fully from this. I was also mentally exhausted and confused. I think that I must get very anxious before a hospital visit and everything just gave way at the same time, resulting in this reaction. Had a chat with Vicky and we decided that it may be best if I spent the night at my parents to give me a chance to recover and relax. On reflection this was a great idea and thanks to Vicky for taking the strain again.
So that was my day! Feel better today and trying to relax as much as possible and regain some strength as I really don't want a repeat of the above. We plan to sit and talk to the kids tonight to give them an update as I think they are more aware of things than we presumed. The poor things just don't understand and it must be really tough for them.

On another note, BBC news are running a Cancer awareness week and we watched the story on Charlotte Esler who was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma at the age of 14. The story is quite moving, especially when they talk about the effect on other people in your life. My Mum asked me if I felt the same, and I do. Seeing someone else talk about the disease that you have is quite an eye opener. There is some other information on Hodgkin's Lymphoma on the BBC website.

Finally thanks to Kelly Kane from the US. My parcel with chemopalooza.com hats and 'Cancer is my Bitch' T-shirt arrived today. A chance for me to put my modelling skills into action and a picture will be posted soon.

Right, I'm off to go and find some energy, thanks for listening again!

4 comments:

Wullie said...

Sorry to hear all that, Chris! Sounds like you went through it a bit yesterday.
You're not alone though. Whenever I have a hospital visit I get over anxious and want to puke.
Even now, if I think about getting ABVD, I have to swallow hard to stop my dinner returning.
Now, what is it you say? Oh yeah!

Keep your pecker up!

Wullie

Kelly Kane said...

Chris I'm glad you're feeling a little better today. Every time I have to fast for a scan I immediately get fast food afterwards - guess it's not the same for you :) Good thing you don't have many hospital visits left! I can't wait for your pictures of you and your shirt!

Keep your pecker up!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hello CT
Soz have not been in touch for a while. Football Football Football!!!....thats all I have seen for the last 2-3 weeks. Finish on Friday for a week, off to Padstow so miss the big day (again!).
Sounds like u have been thru the mill....but hopefully light at the end of the tunnel.
Will give u a bell when I am back.

Cheers
JH

Anonymous said...

Hey you - the joys of modern medicine! Glad you're starting to recover from your ordeal. I know I'm mentally exhausted after hospital visits and I'm not even the patient, so I can only guess what it's like for you!
Hope you made the most of your Rest 'n' Relaxation. Vicky and I are already booking our 'days off' when our beloved husbands are back to 100% fitness!!!

Take care,

Veronica