Monday 25 June 2007

Home Run

This is it, the home run. Only three more visits to the radiotherapy department and then I am cooked! Really looking forward to the weekend as I travel to Amsterdam on Saturday to see Genesis in concert, and the reviews are good. It was supposed to be a treat after some rest, but at least I am going, even if it is only two days after my last blast.
I can't get the next issue out of my head. I am not a religious man, but Vicky placed the following poem on Wullies Blog and the words are just fantastic and very relevant to myself and lots of other people we know or who we have got to know.

One night I had a dream--I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord and across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints, one belonged to me and the other to the Lord. When the last scene of my life flashed before me, I looked back at the footprints in the sand. I noticed that many times along the path of my life,there was only one set of footprints. I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life. This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, you would walk with me all the way, but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. "I don't understand why in times when I needed you most, you should leave me." The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child, I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trial and suffering. "When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

It leaves a lump in my throat I can relate so much of my recent experience to it. Maybe, in my case, the Lord has been replaced by others close to me, but the message is just the same. I can't thank everyone enough for the messages, cards, help and thoughts.
Humbled...
Thanks

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww Chris,

You have just brought a tear to my eye.

I honestly dont know at times how you, Vicky and the kids, have managed to get through things, but you have, and Im proud of ALL of you.

You thank people in your posts, but Chris, maybe its the time for me to thank you! You have shown me, that in times like these in your life, when the unexpected happens, that instead of falling apart ( although inside, Im sure some days you felt it) that you can get through some of the toughest things that stand in the way of ones personal journey through life.

Have a fantastic time at your concert, you deserve the most brilliant time ever.

Rachael x

Anonymous said...

ok ok back to work now please- you are getting on my nerves!!!!!

Vickyxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, That poem is beautiful.
So glad your treatment is coming to an end, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
You have done so well, we are all so proud of you.
Enjoy the concert at weekend, don't be eating any funny cakes over there! :)
Love Tina & Boys xx

Kelly Kane said...

The countdown begins, Chris!! Hooray for this almost being just a memory, congrats!!

Kelly

Veronica said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Chris - last blast!! Enjoy walking out of there, for the last time. YOU have beaten this (with a little help from your loved ones, granted) but essentially, YOU have done this - well done. Take time to consider your amazing accomplishment. This time last year if you were asked how you would cope with fighting cancer, NEVER would you have thought you'd get through it with such strength - but you have.........FANTASTIC.

Enjoy Genesis - it'll be amazing - we're totally jealous but know that our time will come soon.........x Love to Vicky and the children................xx

Wullie said...

HAPPY G-RAD-UATION DAY!

Well done mate! You've made it!
Congratulations.