Thursday 12 July 2007

Getting by with a little help from my friends

It took a comment from Vicky to bring me back to plant earth and bring things in to prospective and for that thanks. We were lying in bed one night, me feeling all sorry for myself and being negative and argumentative about everything when she told me not to be selective in my thoughts. It took a bit of time to sink in but she was right, I was selecting small points to be happy about and negative about everything else. Small comments like that can really have a great effect on you, but am am aware that it may take a small comment to tip me the other way, I must remain positive and Keep my Pecker up.

I have also began to read comments on the Lymphoma Forum which has helped. There is a thread Post Chemo Blues which has made me understand that I am not alone and the experiences really help to change your attitude. I have began to get my self in order, working on setting goals to build my strength to enable me to get back to normal living. This includes work who I paid a visit to this week. I have a date pencilled in for my return, the 20th August, that's 6 weeks away and the week after my next hospital appointment! Having had what will be a total of 7 months off I am looking forward to seeing familiar faces and getting my mind into other things rather than myself and home. I know that Vicky will miss me, she putting on a brave face saying that she is looking forward to some peace and quiet, I know you are joking!!!!!!!

In myself I feel good although the burning from the radiation treatment under my left arm is getting worse and can be quiet sore.
Think that's about it for time being.
Speak soon and KYPU.
C

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CT
You now need to move on to the next phase of your life. You need to accept the fact that you are well, just the same as you accepted the fact that your were ill. It took Lorraine and I quite a while to adjust our mindset after all the treatment had finished. You must remove the blinkers and see the bigger picture-the next 40yrs to be exact.
You will still have tremendous support from all who love you, this support needs to now be channeled towards the long term.
Take care mate, and a big squeeze for Vik please.
DB
PS Your still my hero !!

Veronica said...

Chris - great to speak to you tonight. You're sounding so sorted! Hopefully, Wullie will be in your shoes in a couple of months (not literally of course, would be a tad uncomfortable ;) - just wanted to clarify that!) - ready to move on with a healthy life and future - cancer-free!!!

Thanks for your continued support - take care - onwards and upwards (we'll be starting work on the same day - Scottish schools go back on 20th Aug!! :(

Stay in touch, Hodge Hunk! x

Wullie said...

Daft as it sounds, but work is a great balancer.
For me, going back to work meant all was normal again. My attitude to work had changed though... it was no longer the be all and end all and I stopped the ridiculous hours and was cutting my travel abroad.
For me it was the biggest single factor in feeling "routined" and normal. 9 -5 bliss!!!!

Enjoy the next 6 weeks! The stronger you get the better they will be!
Thanks again for all your support through these last few weeks. It really has been appreciated, although I've not been in a state to let you guys know.

Wullie