Monday 13 August 2007

Hodgkin's has left the building......

Went to see Prof R this morning and he gave me the once over, with the help of bloods and a chest x-ray. Conclusion is that I'M FREE of the 'H', in remission, free of cancer and ready to re start my life after a 6 month break. So from me its 'Goodbye, hope never to see you again' or as my little mate here says, Fuck Off!

Really chuffed that this whole chapter of my life is over and that we can look forward to the future as a family unit. Its been a long haul with plenty of deep troughs that have tested me to the limit but with the support of Vicky and many close family and friends, we have beaten it.

It was really interesting to read my blog from start to finish a few weeks ago as it reminded me of what we had been through. The worst time was the possibility of additional Chemo after a negative PET scan as I thought it had beaten me, but no way, just a day to day throat infection caused the grief and a temporary blip.

If you are reading this as a new comer to the Hodge I must ask you to remain as positive as possible, set a few targets and tick them off as time goes by. There is loads of support for you in the right place, but there is some information on the web that could do you more harm, just be careful!

So what is my next steps? Unfortunately my extended absence from work is over as I go back next Monday after 1 day short of 7 months. In some ways I am really looking forward to getting my teeth in to work again, having more to concentrate my mind on and familiar faces, but I know it will be tough and I must pace myself. On the medical side I have my next CT scan end of October followed my another appointment with Prof R and there after every 6 months. I really hope that these go well and I am one of the 80% that have no further issues.

Finally I really need to say a big thank you to Vicky. Its been tough, we both know that, but we have got through it together. You have been a rock to me and the kids and without you this ride would have been so different for us all. I know that our families feel the same, so from us all, THANKS and we love you to bits.

Today is the start of the rest of our lives.

KYPU to all

C x

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
Can I be one of the first to congratulate you on here. That is fantastic news. I'm so happy for you, Vicky and the children.
You have done so well over the last 6 months.
Here's to the rest of your life now, I hope its full of happiness and C free :)
It's True what you say about Vicky she is a true rock, from my own experience she has always been there for me no matter what.
See you all soon,
Lots of love Tina & Boys xxx

Wullie said...

Hi Chris,
Superb news.
It's been a long auld haul but Vicky and yourself have made it to the end.
I have no doubt you'll be one of the 80% that never sees this evil, vicious disease again.

Woo Hoo!

I'm right on your tail, mind! I get a scan on Monday 20th and my onc will be (hopefully) giving me the all clear on the 24th. Once that happens we'll get some firm dates... I think Kelly is getting antsy!!

Veronica said...

Glad to have you back, Chris - we've missed you!! And coming back with such fantastic news has really made my day.........x

You are an amazing family - one I've been glad to have 'met' (hopefully we'll be able to take away the inverted commas one day soon!!).......you've all done brilliantly through this whole chapter........you should all be so proud of yourselves.

Take care - stay in touch......Vx

Kelly Kane said...

Congrats Chris! I'm so glad to hear you're officially clean! YAY! Such great news! Good luck with going back to work on Monday! :)

Anonymous said...

CT
Fantastic news!!!!
Will b in touch soon.
JH

Anonymous said...

That is great news and I'm happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Fan .. bloody .. tastic!
Love lala x

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that Chris, you too have been a star. It hasn't been easy and you have had some tough moments. As you said Vicky has been the best in helping you get through this - thanks a million from the bottom of my heart Vicky.
My thanks also go out to all you bloggers who have also provided Chris with information, support and laughs along the way. Some of you are just dropping in to see what is going on, others of you are on your own 'journey'. I would like to wish you all the very best and hope you can all keep in touch as I know you have build some strong bonds over the past few months.
Cheers,
Lala aka Big Sis xxx