Wednesday 18 April 2007

Radiotherapy or not?

Just getting rid of the final pangs from chemo 4 and today been able to enjoy the full day without a sleep, although I am ready to drop know. Have found the side effects bad this time with a solid 8 days of feeling cr4p. There have been a few bugs in the house which I have managed to keep away from but maybe this has effected me more than I think.
As I have a little light at the end of the tunnel I have started to think of life and treatment post Chemo. A few thoughts:
  1. I have signed up for a clinical trail which means that I have a CT and PET scan and depending on the results, I may or may not have radiotherapy. I am doubting if this is a wise move as I want the best for myself and know that Radiotherapy after chemo is the standard treatment and has a great success rate. On the other side of the coin, the side effects of radiotherapy are not good - who wants to be made radioactive! - and I am unsure which will be best. I need to discuss this at length with my consultant on Monday. I agreed to the trail when I was a virgin Chemo patient and having encountered the pain and side effects in recent weeks, I just want to get better and rebuild family life and reduce the chance of relapse. Its a hard one!
  2. Really feel for my three children, they are so innocent but caught up in the whole mess. I have been surprised how they have reacted, in a positive way, but this is because they are innocent. They leave me alone when I am crabby and I know that they must be thinking why is he like this when in the past he was not! I hope that one day I will be able to talk to them openly about it and that they will fully understand (someone get the tissues out!)
  3. Returning to work - enough said! Really will have to start thinking about this although at this time I can't bare the thought of a full days work!

Lots to think about in the coming weeks. Thanks to all for your continuing support and help.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

Good luck with your consultant on Monday - let us know how you get on. Make sure you're armed with any questions, doubts, fears etc.. and don't leave until everything's been discussed!! I hope Vicky will be able to go with you - 2 minds are definitely better than 1, (especially when 1 has chemo-brain!!).

Give those gorgeous children of yours a big hug when you're not feeling crabbit!

Veronica

Kelly Kane said...

Hey Chris -

I'm hoping that I can avoid radiation as I was told about the long term effects of it could be breast and lung cancer..scares the crap outta me, I only want to fight cancer once in my life! :) I should find out more at chemo #9 (2 weeks from now) - stay tuned!!

Keep that pecker up! Soon you'll be sporting a Cancer Is My Bitch tshirt!!

Anonymous said...

Hiya,

Regarding your trail, You have to do what is right for you , for all of you xx Whatever you do, do not be too hard on yourself, follow your gut instinct, and you will have the right outcome, hindsight is a pain in the neck, but you are allowed to change your mind, after all, this is your body x

Good Luck on Monday xxx (But I shall see you before then!)

Rachael xx

Ann said...

Radiation to do or not? I'm on chemo 14, two more to go, then radiation. Chris read read and trust yourself. I'm afraid of the secondary cancer that could come from this chemo and radiation.Maybe possibility? Oh when your crabby or feeling crappy don't let your girls leave you alone, life is now ! hug and tell them you love them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, sorry not been in touch this week, went back to work on monday and it totally took it out of me all week! I must say tho after 7 weeks off I am really glad to be back at work. As for you it's totally differnt cicumstances, take it easy and don't rush back when the time comes :)
Good luck tomorrow, I will be thinking of you. As for the trial, Rach is right go with your gut feeling. Whatever you decide to do everyone will be behind you 100%. Take care Chris, and send my love to Mrs T
Love Tina & Boys xx