Tuesday 4 March 2008

What is in a blog...

I thought I would publish some of the comments from my last post on the main page because they really mean so much, from the newly diagnosed patient who is starting out, the students who will be helping to treat sufferers in the future and to family members who find it hard to express themselves. The blog was started as an online diary for everyone and I am really chuffed that it has worked and is / has been used the way it was intended.

Some comments are:
Dear Chris
I am a Senior lecturer in Radiotherapy and Oncology and came across the blog when looking for some bits on side-effects of radiotherapy. Great to see such a positive and real view, the ups and downs of being a person with cancer. Thank you for your honesty and I will definitely put this the way of my students so that they see what benefits there are for the patients they are treating with radiotherapy. Good luck for the future. Paul Brown
Paul - Are you in the North West? If so I could always come and talk to the students if it would help. Thanks for reading and good luck to you. Feel free to contact me.

Blogs like yours help me find inspiration for the journey and fundraising I am doing to fight this horrible disease. Chriswww.140miles.com
Chris - Good luck to you with your fund raising. Sufferers owe so much to the people like you who do so much to support all kinds of cancer. Keep being inspired.

I have just read your blog and thinks it fantastic that you kept your sense of humour throughout your treatment. Recently diagnosed with HL and chemo starts Friday - very nervous but reading the blog it provided me with more "honest" info than any booklet. I am determined to remain positive, and looking forward to getting better
Nells9 - Hope all went well on Friday, you are probably feeling pretty shitty when I write this but it will get better. I hope my honest blog with my not too serious slant helps you, and if it does then I have achieved my goal. Keep in contact.

Nells9, Hope you got on ok yesterday, I think Chris's blog is something that could help anyone going through Hodgkin's.Although I am Chris's sister in law, his blog helped me see things from the "inside", it answered questions that maybe sometimes I felt maybe difficult to ask, I felt and still do feel that his blog is definitely a good thing, not just to other sufferers, but for the family and friends to keep updated on his progress.I saw Chris today, he looks great!, and the first thing I said to my husband when I got in the car was that looking at him, I could not believe how poorly he was this time last year. He looks brill!A blog may not be for everyone, but from a family point of view, when you see someone you love and care about going through Hodgkin's, you worry about saying the wrong thing, asking the wrong questions, but a blog like this, with Chris's honesty, the questions are answered, his feelings were explained.Being able to post on his blog, I didnt have to ask him questions, but I could make it known that I had read what he had posted and I was aware of his thoughts without him actually having to say a word to me. Good luck xxxRachael x
Rach - you made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and I never thought I would have said that? I know the blog has been read by you frequently and your comments helped me during the dark days. Glad it helped a close family member as we all know these types of events can be awkward to discuss.

These comments make me feel proud of my blog, something I have really enjoyed doing. Please keep the comments coming as they help so many people understand life with cancer, not only the sufferers but also family and friends.

And for me, feel good in general, although the last few days have been tough with fatigue and a stomach problem. Back to the hospital 10th April. A year ago today I was recovering from my first Chemo, what a year!
Cheers and KYPU

Chris

2 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

nice post, I highlighted your blog on mine today, take care, Diane-

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Thanks for dropping by my blog and posting before - only just got a chance to reply! Been three weeks back at work now and still easing my way back. Its a challenge alright!

Nice to find another right-armpit-Stage 1A'er from the UK! Had a quick look on your blog but hope to read a lot more.

I see you have a 'similar blogs' bit on your site - feel free to add mine to that - if its worth that is! :)

All the best,

Arif (London, UK)

http://cricketconnoisseur.blogs.com/my_weblog